Workflow, quality assurance and dialogue
- 1. Send your manuscript for editing to us as an attachment via email, preferably in Word™ format. We can handle other formats, e.g. LaTeX, but these may require more time, and thus incur a higher fee (agreed in advance), than editing a paper in Word.
- 2. We acknowledge receipt of your paper.
- 3. Our editors work on your paper, not only checking language, grammar and spelling, but also making suggestions to improve the flow of information and other aspects (e.g. treatment of limitations and technical details).
- 4. We return the paper for you to consider our recommendations.
- 5. You ask any questions you may have regarding our suggestions.
- 6. We respond, and when you are satisfied with the work we send an invoice for payment.
Mark-up (see example to the right)
The changes and amendments we make are generally highlighted both in bold type within the text and using Word's change-tracking system. This gives you the options of:
- Easily viewing the changes in bold, keeping "view mark-up" switched off, or
- Seeing all the changes in detail by switching "view mark-up" on
We make the suggested changes as easy to understand and process as possible:
- Where simple grammatical changes are needed, we make appropriate amendments in the text
- Where passages are unclear we highlight them and write our suggested amendments below the relevant paragraph
Where necessary we also explain why we think the changes are required, and in all cases we try to minimise the cutting, pasting and other amendments you have to make.
Our editors will answer any questions you have about the suggested changes to your manuscript.
We aim to return all but the longest papers within 7-14 days of receiving them, having considered construction, style, presentation, technical details, treatment of limitations and novel aspects, as well as basic spelling and grammar. We also have faster "Priority" or "Express" services if deadlines are tight (we have returned PhD theses within 24 hours). See our Rates and Payment page for more information.
All manuscripts we handle are viewed solely by our administrators and the editor(s) who edit them, and their contents are never discussed with anyone else until they have been published.
Contact us if you have any questions regarding our service.